Sunday, October 6, 2013

Texas Vacation!

Hi Y'all!

Thought that was a little bit appropriate seeing as this post is all about my upcoming trip to Texas where everything is bigger and I hope better!

Bee and I are off to Houston on Thursday for three days and will end our trip in Austin spending 2 days there. This is of course our Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and we've decided to tack on a few extra days to make it an extra long and special weekend.

Our flight leaves bright and early on Thursday morning from Buffalo to Houston and I'll be leaving approximately 15-17 degree weather for hot and sunny 27 degree weather. The key here is to wear layers. The airplane is always cool, but the second we arrive in Houston we're going to want something a little less insulated. I usually like to wear a dress to travel in. Something wrinkle free but this time I will be travelling in a pair of leggings, sheer top, and long cardigan with a scarf, and flats. Upon arrival in the heat, I will remove my cardigan and scarf. Voila! A quick and easy layered look.

I'm a strong believer in looking cute when you travel. When you're in an airport you walk past and can potentially meet hundreds of different people. People who are A) looking at you, don't be fooled. Airports are one of the best locations to people watch. And 95% of people do it. B) might be tall, dark and handsome...just exactly your type and miiiight even have the balls to approach you. Now...you tell me, but is that a situation you want to be caught in with bedhead, no makeup and sweatpants on? I didn't think so.

Since our flight leaves so early it's only natural that we arrive early with a full day ahead of us. We rented a car so we'll likely drive ourselves to the hotel, check in early if possible and drop off our bags. Freshen up if necessary and hit the road for some neighbourhood exploring in the Midtown/Neartown/Montrose area. These neighbourhoods are supposed to be very unique, trendy and a little bit artsy with lots of neat things to do and see. Restaurants, Bars, Shops etc.

Friday we'll be heading downtown Houston for more exploring. Just seeing what the Business District is like, what kind of fine culture there is to be seen in Houston's heart. And in the evening we have tickets to see our very favourite singer/songwriter Joshua Radin at the House of Blues. We really lucked out here. We booked our trip and then when we were deciding what kinds of things we should do while we were away, we checked his tour dates....Thursday Dallas, Friday....HOUSTON! We booked instantly of course. There is NO way we'd pass up a performance out of the country and so far from home too! Yes we've travelled a bit to see him the farthest was Ohio, it's only a 5 hour drive from home. But Texas...this was fate. And we just had to. So we are :)

Saturday is our horseback ride. Up early for a private ride with our guide. I'm excited to be in a one on one situation with a local. I'm ready to pick his brain about the pros and cons of the area, living in Texas, and all the rest of the details. I hope he's a he. And he's cute too! In the afternoon we'll be heading down to Sugarland, Pearland, and all the way over the League City to check out  more neighbourhoods and see what the more southern parts of Houston are like.

Houston is HUGE! Did you know it's the 4th largest city in the USA. And growing! So there is lots to check out and we only have 3 days.

Sunday we're up at the crack of dawn. It's my sister's (Bee) birthday and she turns 25. We're going zip lining today at Lake Travis, and we need to be there at 12. It's a three hour drive up to the Austin area which is where we'll be zip lining. So needless to say, it's why we're getting up so early. We have a 3 hour zip line adventure ahead of us. And then birthday drinks/dinner/celebrations in downtown Austin. We'll be eating on the river and wandering for drinks wherever the wind takes us.

Monday is our day of exploring the areas around Texas to see what Austin has to offer. We were originally going to hike McKinney State Park, but it seems there will be lots of time for that in our future...

Here is a sneak peek in to my suitcase for this trip. I've tried to pack for a few things:

1. Car rides- dresses that won't wrinkle will be the most comfortable. They're cool, and don't cut off, no belts, buttons, zippers required. The ones I've chosen are sleeveless so that I can get a nice tan when we stop for gas, get out for photos, or to explore the neighbourhoods.


2. Outdoor activities- since there are a few requirements when horseback riding and zip lining. I've included closed toe shoes and jeans, as well as athletic apparel for options as per the guidelines of these activities.


3. Evenings- I've brought along a few dresses and a celebration suit since we are celebrating a birthday while we're away and I do plan to meet a cowboy or two.


4. Travel- it's important to remember around this time of year (and in the Winter months too) that the weather you are leaving and coming back to are much cooler than your destination will be. So with that in mind as I've mentioned I'm packing strategically so I have layers when I leave and land.



Here it is, the peek....

 
I hope you all have a great long weekend planned. Or vacations coming up that you're as excited about as I am about my Texas trip!
 
XO
 
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment