Saturday, October 2, 2010

What It Feels Like For A Girl

Today I had an interesting conversation with Matt. Its Saturday night and we have plans...
I'm getting ready over the course of an entire hour. NOT bad considering some girls that I know or have heard of through the grapevine.

He said " I would hate to be a girl, because its crazy how much time you take to get ready"

My thoughts and response: I love being a girl. Sure we often take excessive amounts of time to make sure that we look "top notch" before we leave the house but all in all we take that much time mostly because its fun.
I thoroughly enjoy primping and experimenting with makeup and my hair as many girls do. This routine that we all have developed, although mine different from Sally and Susie, is not a chore. We choose to do this....because we like it.


Thats just how we do......Right?

I know that I do. But then I started thinking and I guess that's an important question to ask yourself, as a lady. Why do you take "x" amount of time to get yourself prepped. Or do you even take the time?
I know that recently the media has had a large influence on the way women perceive themselves. Learning about the media and analyzing beauty campaigns in my Academic Career was a scary wake up call. The concept that I have always, for a long time, had a hard time grasping was the idea that I should do things because I want to and not because someone else wants me to. And what I have found from learning to accept this as a new way of my life is that the people in my life think that I am beautiful. Getting comfortable, being me, doing my hair and my makeup and dressing the way I want to, I look good and I can feel great.

And of course...the compliments are ego boosting and it makes it easier and more relaxing to be ME. And that's what its all about isn't it?

We should seriously be considering what motivates us to do all of this. The truth of the matter is that people in your life, your friends, family and significant others, will love you no matter what you do, wear, say or think. Thats the reality of unconditional love. So if you don't enjoy it....if putting on your makeup and curling your hair is a dreaded task. SCREW IT

And thats just how I see it.

THANK YOU TO THE EGO-BOOSTERS IN MY LIFE. I LOVE YOU XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment